10.06.2009

TWD: Split Level Pudding

For this week's installment of Tuesdays with Dorie, Garrett of Flavor of Vanilla picked the split level pudding. The original recipe calls for classic vanilla pudding on top and chocolate ganache on the bottom. While I love a good chocolate and vanilla combo, I really love chocolate and coffee. So I flavored my pudding with some instant espresso, per one of Dorie's suggested alternatives.

The recipe was fairly simple, but as many other TWD bakers have mentioned, there were a lot of steps -- bring this to a boil, whisk it on the stove, put it in the food processor, back on the stove, back in the food processor -- whew! I tried to simplify by just using a hand mixer. The pudding was delicious and turned really thick and creamy on the stove. But when I mixed it with the butter for the final step, it turned a little chunky. Chunky pudding = no good.

It may not look too pretty... but it sure tasted good. Although I have to admit... next time I'm craving pudding, I may just stick with the instant kind!

4 comments:

  1. Mine didn't work out either. Was thick, last step = milkshape. But it did taste good.

    maybe next week will be better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine got chunky during the last heating stage too. I used a stand mixer instead of a food processor and the stand mixer with the whisk attachment took all the lumps out.

    I have to admit, though, since my mixer is across the kitchen from my stove, it was a LOT of back and forth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually a pudding lover, but coffee and chocolate sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taste is everything at our house! I came looking for the muffins, but I found this instead, which is a good thing for me as I was out of town and didn't get to make this last week. Fun to see what you did with it. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete